Calgary Couples Counselling
We Can Help You Rebuild Your Relationship
Here are some steps you can expect during your couples therapy session:
- Discover and work through challenges in your relationship.
- Develop a realistic care plan to help you both overcome relationship issues.
- Support your relationship throughout the entire healing journey.
Our couples counselling sessions can also serve as a crucial first step during times of crisis, such as coping with the loss of a child, job-related stress, or the aftermath of infidelity.
The ultimate goal of our couples therapy is to provide you with a path to improved communication, emotional connection, and lasting love.
What Is Couples Therapy?
Couples therapy is a collaborative process where one of our trained couples counsellors and a couple work together to overcome a challenge in a relationship. This form of relationship therapy proves especially valuable when couples experience excessive relationship problems, feel uncertainty about the future of the relationship, or want to part ways amicably.
Signs You Need Relationship Counselling
Types of Therapy For Couples
The Gottman Method
The Gottman Method is an evidence-based therapy focused on strengthening skills in three relationship domains, including becoming better friends, learning to manage conflict, and creating support and dreams for yourselves as a couple.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) is a therapeutic bilateral stimulation technique that aids individuals in healing from past negative experiences. We integrate EMDR into individual therapy plans for couples to address issues causing triggers within the relationship, often rooted in early attachment issues.
Our affair recovery and trust therapy is a specialized emotionally-focused therapy tailored to help couples during the aftermath of infidelity, with a primary focus on healing emotional wounds, restoring communication, and ultimately rebuilding the foundation of the relationship.
Benefits of Couples Counselling
Helpful Therapy Resources
Book an appointment with us:
Take The First Step Towards Resolving Your Relationship Challenges
Healing your relationship will help you and your partner live happier and healthier lives together. Book your next appointment, and relight the spark in your relationship.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, counselling services are considered psychotherapy. All of our counsellors are trained and licensed therapists, so third-party providers will accept their credentials to cover the fees.
We recommend contacting your insurance provider to confirm how much your benefit plan covers.
Any change, even good, can sometimes cause secondary losses and gains.
Some couples report improvement after simply making the counselling appointment. This improvement is a phenomenon called "pre-counselling change," where just knowing you're going to counselling can improve your relationship. Other couples report positive changes after the first therapy session.
Negative side effects from counselling can include experiencing uncomfortable feelings and emotions as you talk about the issues concerning you. Your counsellor has a variety of strategies to help address these side effects.
Sometimes, you won’t know if your marriage can be fixed unless you try. If you're unsure what to do with your marriage, considering a divorce/separation, or want to assess the strengths and weaknesses of your relationship, we recommend you complete an online assessment from the Gottman Institute.
This clinical research tool consists of 337 questions; your answers are completely confidential and fully compliant with HIPAA. Here's how it works:
- Accept the email invitation—your relationship counsellor will do the Enhanced Gottman Relationship Checkup
- Create a private profile
- Complete the questionnaire
- Get your results
Your relationship or marriage counsellor will contact and discuss the results with you and suggest a plan for improving and strengthening your relationship based on your scores.
Consider some of the following questions to determine whether you might be a good candidate for counselling.
- Do the problems persist, even with your efforts to change the situation?
- Does your partner want to attend (or is willing to try) relationship/marriage therapy?
- Do you have the space and time to commit to attending Calgary couples counselling, either in person or online counselling via video call?
- Have you investigated the Gottman method and feel that it’s a good fit for you?
- Have you looked at the profile of your counsellor and feel that they are the right fit for you?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, couples counselling may be right for you. Please contact us if you would like more information about our counselling services.
The following are some key differences between a healthy and unhealthy relationship.
- Have experiences that allow a couple to maintain a strong friendship
- Productively deal with issues and concerns
- Support the hopes and dreams of each partner
- Hold the ingredients of trust—including speaking gently to each other and having: